Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Welding


I'm getting so close to buying my welder now - I cant put it off much longer. Soon, this trike is not going to make any further progress unless I simply join metal together.
I have been focused on buying a MIG welder as I have assumed that TIG welding equipment is out of my financial reach.... However after a couple of conversations today, I'm wondering if I ought to investigate a little further

Equipment aside, I have to admit that i dont actually have a great deal of experience of either MIG or TIG welding, so Ive just spent a fabulous day with TVOR getting some practice in with his MIG welder (actually, from the picture it looks as if TVOR is having a little too much of a relaxed time).

Im not sure if I've worked out the exact science of creating a great weld yet, but I do feel much more confident to go and practice some more (lots more) ..... all I've got to do is now is buy a welder... but which sort??

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am pleased to see TVOR wearing some robust looking welding gloves but not a sign of a leather welding apron on the trainee??!!
Hughie

spideytim said...

I do have a most excellent leather welding apron. And TVOR said he would like one too.... I wonder if we can still get them?
My Apron is waiting for the big weld-off when the frame gets going properly

Anonymous said...

You know, this all seems way too functional...when do we get to hear about the important stuff -halogen lamps, custom paint job and snakeskin padded seats? Just kidding - looks like a lot of fun...wish I could come by and see it, not to mention put my delicate cubicle-soft hands to some other use than pounding away at a keyboard. Keep up the good work...if you ever need something stateside, give me a call. Cheers...peter.dufall@att.net

spideytim said...

You are so right... it requires a lot of focus and strength of mind to not be tempted away from the hard work (a bit like naming your rock band before you've even practiced!)
But i do have a confession to make, I am starting to think about colour! Originally my thoughts were that it would be matt black, but Im starting to have desires for perhaps a bit of a pastel colour - pea green? or my current favourite - deep lilac?
Great to know that I now have some support from the homeland of all things chopper :-)