Monday, December 01, 2008

getting my finger out to weld





I wrote my masters degree project on the subject of 'everyday creativity' - what is it? and how might we develop it? My conclusion was not earth-shattering..... its not about being 'creative'.... its all about having the drive to overcome all the barriers to doing something new.
For weeks now my new TIG welder has sat in its box, while i find this excuse and that excuse not to go and try it. To tell the truth, Ive also been a bit scared of it too - its expensive and it has heavy duty electrics and it makes fire etc. But this weekend I forced myself to go give it a try - How nuts is that? i had to force myself to have fun with my new toy! - the easier route is (and has been) to go and do some more email :-(
Of course once you've got over the barrier and actually started getting on with it, the task is never as daunting as you had imagined. It took me about an hour to get the thing all wired and plumbed up, but finally there were no more excuses left, there was no alternative but to switch it on..... and man what a pleasure it was :-)
I had decided to try it out in the open - where if something went wrong i might be able to minimise the total destruction of my house. In the event though, the Tig welder was quiet, splatter-free and an absolute pleasure to use. I still need a lot of practice and to learn about all the variables of the settings, but i think it can be seen from the practice joints i was making, that TIG welding is a wonderful process.
So encouraged was i by this experince, that i went on to make a TV bracket - and made a right pigs ear of the welding.... so much to learn, so much to learn. Oh well, I am encouraged enough to give it another go.
Only barrier now to getting the Trike frame done, is that im now going to have to make a welding trolley first because i dont want to have to set up and take down the welding kit every time i want to use it

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every act of creation is first an act of destruction (Picasso)...and if you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe (Carl sagan)...sounds like you're making good progress...I wonder if you would have ever started if you'd known how much you would have to go through?...also, where's the Microsoft Project plan, or is having such a loose plan the key to staying on schedule?...hope you and your family are having a great holiday season, cheers, peter.dufall@att.net

spideytim said...

Never a truer word said.
Would I have started if i'd known how much I would have to go through?... actually yes. I dont think im doing this for the end result, its more about enjoying the process and the little results on the way. I did initially say that I'd invest a grand in the fun of building it and then simply drive it to the scrap yard because it was only the creating of it that i was interested in... Im changing my mind a bit on that now - I'm starting to bond with it a bit :-)
As for the Microsoft project plan? brrr, I shudder at the thought

Great to know that you are watching still :-)

Anonymous said...

Good to feel the sails filling again and the project starting to move into open waters again. What plan? When you are doing something for yourself you can't be behind schedule, it's your schedule and therefore your on schedule. With regard to budget you still have to come to the point where you need all those little bits, head lights, switches, number plates etc all of which you have not accounted for. At this point I suggest you adopt my maxim "Cosmetics don't count", it helps.

Tim said...

I guess I have a slight advantage, owing to the fact that I've been welding for more years than I care to recall.
I'm chuffed to see that despite the economy imploding around us you soldier on!
My TT tickets to pay for in Feb, another big dent in the trike budget.
Either we plod on or possibly get a two for one offer on therepy.

Anonymous said...

What no update regarding the welding course?