Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Silent progress

I haven't written on here for ages.
I quite like writing up my notes but 2 thoughts occurred to me;
1.  my time is tight enough - surely if i have any spare time to write, then wouldn't it be better spent actually working on the trike??
2.  I cant imagine people are particularly interested in the minute detail of procrastination I make, and each hole I drill..... people want to see step changes. (it always amazes - and frustrates - me when I see in magazines, a complete project / ride across a continent story told in 3 pages, including photos and a good 1/4 page of title and 'witty' introduction :-( I can only assume that the readers dont want detail)

So I haven't written much, but I have been working on her

And I have given the engine a complete rebuild too.
I wasnt intending to, but when I actually looked under the rocker cover - I was worried by what looked like evidence of either running with no oil, or running with no water - things were pretty burnt in there.

So I stripped her down, de-carbonised pretty well everything (it was all baked on the inside of the crankcase too!), put new main bearing shells in and new piston rings.
Im loosing track of how much this is costing me now (probably a good thing) but the engine rebuild is probably in the region of £200

And then I did a carb rebuild too - jet and needles (£50 from SU Carbs UK)

So all this has taken me a while, and while I have lots of photos to show my slow progress.... its all a bit boring to show here.  Suffice to say, its all back together again now - and much more pleasant to man-handle

Oh and I did have another engine project on the bench at the same time (making a coffee table from a Renault Clio engine) No wonder this trike is taking me such a long time to do - I should learn to not be so distracted!

No comments: