Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Awkward welds



Working on the test pieces on the benches is great for developing the skills, but lets face it, how much of my trike am i going to be able to weld in 'class-room' like conditions? At the risk of trying to run before I could walk, I was keen to see what it felt like to have to weld awkward joints in awkward positions, so Tom set me up a couple of scenarios - an acute angle, and an overhead weld. I can happily say that if im ever faced with an overhead weld, i'd rather turn the project upside down ("yes Sarge, i DO think it would be better if we roll that Mark VIII (Liberty) tank over, you know how much overhead welding does my neck and back in")
As for the acute angle in an awkward position, well I reckon those are just about manageable - as long as you prepare the site to get yourself comfortable. I reckon one of the keys to a successful and tidy TIG welded joint is to prepare your working area so that you can get in a comfortable and braced position. Tom talks of tack welding bars and braces onto the job simply for the welder to rest/lean/support against (then grinding them off after the joint is made)

No comments: