Sunday, June 08, 2008

Nice bit of turning


Kev at Projex came up with the goods - a lovely shiney new headstock.
I left work early to dash over and collect it for the weekend. Kev was just shutting up shop to set off to a bike show and present his sponsor trophy for best in show - he'd made a little billet machined forks and yoke trophy mounted on a granite plinth - ive got my eyes on that prize for next year.
Before he had to get away, I managed to get some thoughts out of him on 1)prop shaft modification, and 2) rear axle mounting
1) Kev reckons - as the prop shaft will be so short it wont need balancing - he reckons i could do it myself! He makes his own but didnt seem interested in doing me one. He reckons a quick chop, sleeve and weld - and some longitudinal slots cut through and welded in to get a good sheer resistant join
2) Kev reckons - dont use any of the original mounting points on the rear axle - grind those off - and use a split block clamp - I'll put some sketches up on line soon - i quite like the idea here as it would look much more pretty and not constrain me to using mounting points that dont fit with where i want the frame to be

So I payed my £70. 50 quid for the turning, and 20 quid for 2 new bearings, and left Kev feeling like im now a real motor bike builder

No comments: