Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Now i feel like a proper trike builder


I am surprised at just how excited I was to receive an inch thick file of official regulations and procedures. Normally I would file detailed paperwork where it belongs (with the missis) But this manual is rather special.
For 30 quid (and that doesnt come out of my build budget) and a number of protracted telephone conversations with some very nice, but a little confused Welsh people in Swansea, I bought myself the VOSA (Vehicle & Operator Services Agency) MSVA (Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval) inspection manual.
This is going to have to be my bible to which i will have to navigate around to find the loopholes that will allow me to create the Trike that i like.
Im a little concerned about chapter 8 - "External projections - unbodied vehicles".... Reasons for failure, point 8. "Any protruding part pointing outwards, that is, a) pointed, b) sharp and are likely to increase the risk or seriousness of body lesions suffered by any person struck or grazed by the vehicle in the event of an accident"..... so where does that leave an open and exposed car engine??

1 comment:

Tim said...

I've only just learned how to search for other like minded bloggers, and stumbled on yours.
You seem a lot more organised than me, but I muddle along nicely!
I will follow your blog avidly from now on.
Find me on http://trikebuild.blogspot.com/
Best wishes
Tim