Monday, December 18, 2006

Clean hands, clean engine

First of all - 3 cheers for Swarfega-heavy duty, Swarfega-Protect (Multi-purpose pre-work hand cream) and Gunk-engine degreaser. What fabulous inventions they are and what a wonderful job they made of not only my engine, but my hands too.
I finished work early today with the intention of doing something on the project in the hope of catching up on some lost time due to all sorts of other distractions (work not being the least of them) - and still I kept being interupted by work and chores. Time was slipping away and i was getting stressed - I so desperately wanted to get into the garage. In the end I simply had to say NO to any other interuption - I went into the garage without my phone and dived straight into the job. I should have tidied up a few things in there first, but that just seemed like more stuff in my way to actually getting something done. If TVOR had been in the garage with me, it would have driven him nuts as i clambered over packs of lamminate flooring and bags of plaster determined that nothing was going to stop me getting on with something I wanted to do. And I did get done what i wanted to get done. Ive given the rear axle and the engine / gearbox an intial clean up.
But before I talk about the engine and diff, we should take an important lesson here..... if you want to do something - you have GOT to approach it with determination and focus. There are so many distractions (welcome and unwelcome) and obsticles that seem to stand in our way to making progress, and we simply have to keep driving forward. If id have stopped to tidy the garage, or answer some email, or help the kids, or chat with john when he came round, I wouldnt have any progress at all.
I have come to belive that actually anyone can build a trike, The mechanics aren't that difficult, its just that only a few people, who in the face of distraction or lazieness, have the ability to keep pressing on.

So with the help of a blunt screw-driver (for scraping off some of the really thick stuff) an old stubbly paintbrush and some GUNK (not as much as you might think) i got to cleaning down the diff and engine..... and I was very pleased with the results. The diff is not nearly as bad as I thought it was - what i took to be corrosion pitting seems to be the natural casting surface! It has some paint on it and that needs to be wire brushed off, but otherwise it looks much better already - though i am a bit concerned as to why it had so much oil and crud caked on it - leaking diff / propshaft seal?
And the engine is far from being properly clean, but at least i can walk past it now without fear of getting oil all over my trousers.
I was left with a prediciment - what to do with a couple of gallons of gunky oily water emulsion? Well what could I do? what would you do? It was dark, the neighbours were inside, and maybe it'll rain tonight to help wash it away :-/

No comments: