Monday, December 18, 2006

Its big and its hard and its between my legs..... shame it doesnt work

So now I can see things a bit better for what they really are, I am starting to rethink the finish of this Trike. Maybe I dont need to disguise corroded parts with hazard paint, though I'm still of the mind that loads of chrome isn't going to be right (too cliche and too expensive).
I am not ashamed to say that before i finished in the garage tonight I placed the engine/box on a little platform, grabbed a patio chair and sat for a moment or two with my legs astride my semi clean power unit.... and it felt good! and it felt particularly good because it was a real engine, not a peice of glitzy show metal. It made me think that actually I'd quite like the mechanics to look like a real engine as if lifted straight from the car (though I'd have to strip back all that damn water piping). The cast alluminium / iron bits all look great when wiped down.... it kind of feels ready-for-work-no-nonsence-like. Contrast this with a swoopy glossy black frame and i think we are creating art!

As I struck the pose, my thoughts were reinforced that this needs to be a low machine. I read about a bloke the other day who told the builder of his bike (the "builder of his bike"! - what a light-weight) that he didn't want to sit ON his bike, he wanted to sit IN his bike, and this really resonated with me. I want to get very close to the hot whiring bits. I want to have to lean over this engine while riding it (note to self - dont wear a tie on Trike days....... probably for a number of reasons)
And as I sat there on my plastic patio chair I wondered about 2 other important features....
1. The Radiator. I had thought I wanted it round the back (like some builders do), and i rather fancied the spinning fan blade out front looking menacing...... but now im wondering that if i want the engine lump to look no-nonsence - ready for work, then maybe the rad on the front might not be so bad (especially if it had a cool mean grill) - I'll sleep on the idea
2. The Propshaft. I had plans to remove the propshaft completely (despite some people saying a hard coupling would break something) in order to keep the distance between rear wheels and headstock to a minimum. however now im begining to think that Im going to need a little bit of space in there for legroom and to keep me me in a low riding position
All in all a great night in the garage, and now at least i can drag the bits about to do some rough layouts without getting myself covered in oil!

No comments: