Friday, July 18, 2008

Shafted



Excellent - I now have all the components I need to get on with building my frame. Up until now i havent been able to bolt down the engine to my jig because i didn't have an exact propshaft length... but now i do.
Dave Mac Propshafts (www.davemacprops.com) in Coventry took a bit of finding on the internet - eventually through a special car build forum - But im glad i did find him as they turned out to be jolly nice chaps with a quick and professional turn around.
OK so it cost me £45 - money i can barely afford on this project now, and some people have suggested i should have done the job myself - but at least now i know i have a sound and balanced propshaft.
There were alternative methods to this -
1) a direct coupling as the rear axle is rigid - I fancy doing this one day - bolting the rear axle directly to the gearbox, No propshaft at all!
2) a new yoke and shaft set up - which apparently would have been a better performance arrangement (I suspect performance isn't going to be an issue on this trike.... for one reason or other).
However at the end of the day shortening my own propshaft was the cheapest option... and so i went with that.
What you see here is the absolute shortest that you can modify a standard reliant propshaft to. 260mm (inside that short bit of welded tube, the 2 UJ castings are actually touching each other)

No comments: