Sunday, July 06, 2008

THIS is living


I cant tell you how much i enjoyed my 4 hours in the garage today. Was it only 4 hours? it flew by... and yet it felt like all day.
Earlier in the week i bought myself a few feet of 50x50x3 and 50x100x3 box section (from my favourite steel stockist - FW Warden - www.fhwarden.co.uk they are great for offcuts) for my rear axle to frame clamp. It cost me £18 (a good 80 quid cheaper than the estimate for getting some clamps engineered for me)
My files also arrived during the week (i havent told the wife yet that they cost more than twice as much as the metal that im going to use them on! - however they should last me a long time beyond this project and anyway that cost comes out of another budget... somewhere)
And so today I made the time to get into the garage with some fresh metal (I get quite excited about having fresh metal rather than something hacked off some bit of scrap) and some sharp tools.
I sweated like a pig as i sawed and filed (I'm glad i didnt go for the 5mm) and the music was loud - it felt fantastic
So as you can see from the picture I have got one clamp block pretty well made up (i havent put the cut outs for the frame tubes in yet as im waiting for the material first) - the pipes in the picture are heating pipe insulation laggings
Im not sure yet about the full height of these blocks - i think im happy with the depth below the axle, but will reduce the height above it. I think this is going to create a very strong frame - and im loving it in this big tube size.

No comments: