Thursday, July 29, 2010

Piaggio Museum

Back into italy.  yes we are doing a lot of back and forward. 
As a reward for a long days drive (Croatia, through Slovinia, and across italy from east to west) I was allowed to stop off at the Piaggio museum (just outside the port town of Lovorno) It is a lovely little museum that is predominantly Vespa related, but does also have examples of the earlier Piaggio machines including an aeroplane, a train carriage, and a pair of cable car cabins!
Ive read a little bit about all the variants of Piaggio scooters, but to see them all in one room was both impressive and suffocating - i shudder at the thought of being the stores-man in the Piaggio factory - it must have driven him nuts with so many changes and unique model bits.
Naturally most of the exhibits are the older and so rarer machines - I only saw one PX - and I have to say that they did whet my appetite for perhaps an older more curvey vespa :-)
I was keen to buy a souvenir from the little museum shop - just to show that i’d been there - but i really think that they were over-egging the privilage of being THE piaggio museum by charging those sorts of prices for a t-shirt, and so I shall have to make do with the cheap vespa t-shirt that I bought at a market in Croatia

No comments: