Monday, September 20, 2010

Powder coating

Ive been purposely holding back from writing my next blog post because i was afraid that I might have said something i would regret.  I'd been getting a bit pissed off with the powder coaters - Redditch Shot Blasting.  But before I go on - I am over that now and am now delighted with Redditch Shot Blasting :-)
Remember that I had tried to get the painting done way back in July but they couldnt get it done before I went away on holiday, so on my return I got it into them as soon as I could where I was told it would probably take about 10 days.  10 days turned into 2 weeks.  Then it was going to be Friday, then Next tuesday etc etc.  In the end it took 3 weeks to turn around - time in which I could have finished the rebuild.
It wasnt so much the time it was taking (though I was desperate to get it back) but more the messing with my expectations and logistical arrangements.
The Job cost £270 +VAT and I was a little taken aback at what initially felt like a lot of money to me, especially as it was taking so long to get done!
On reflection - I think I had been unfair to the chaps.  When I did finally get to collect it from them, they had done a marvelous job.  Everything had been thoroughly masked and plugged and some of the pitted areas they had actually layed 3 coats of powder on to buildup the surface.  I am guessing that cost of materials aside, there is probably quite a lot of labour in getting these bits coated.
The only trouble now was - I had only just enough time to get the bits home and in the garage before I had to turn round and dash away for 5 days leaving all those lovely painted bits behind me still wrapped and tantalizingly close to starting the rebuild

No comments: