Monday, September 27, 2010

Rebuilding continues

Life is busy busy busy at moment and so im not getting into the garage as much as I would like. Every time I think I have a moment clear in my diary, my wife tells me otherwise! Having said that, she is pretty cool with me and the time I do have in the garage (even allowing me a couple of hours without mentioning once that I should really be getting on with putting the patio and decking back down after last weeks sewage overflow - who is that mystery sewage-pipe blocker?)
And so progress is not as fast as I would like, but the bits that I have managed to do are keeping me excited and enthused.
I'd been pondering for a while as to the perfect order to reassemble the bits.  Clearly wires and cables needed to go in first, but what then? There are so many independencies that nothing can be installed and ticked off as finished - everything seems to need to be going together at the same time.  And so after some head-scratching and procrastination (and with an eye on the limited time I had this weekend) I simple decided to "go for it" regardless of a 'correct' proceedure.
I was rather surprised at just how quickly the front end all came together (note - I havent changed the steering column bearings) and so thought I'd attempt the engine/rear suspension unit too.  And lo and behold, that also seemed to pop in quite sweetly.  I was delighted that the two chassis sides (that I had completely re-fabricated) between which the engine frame bolts was a perfect fit and everything appears to have lined up just right.
So within a couple of hours I had the scooter standing on its own two wheels with the aid of a milk crate for balance.
I had planned to spray black 'stone-chip' paint inside the wheel arches/mudguards but (again with my new 'get-your-finger-out-and-do-something' attitude) decided to simply paint a good coat of waxoyl over the complete inside surface (the propriety waxoyl hand sprayer is bloody hopeless) - I figured that it was perfectly good enough for my needs and this 'resuscitation' project
I havent taken any photos of the rebuild thus far as its not particularly interesting, and the garage is so cramped that I can hardly move to get a picture in there.... Actually I should say, that my cramped garage has been a source of frustration today.  Kids! I thoroughly recommend you working hard at school so you can get good qualifications, so you can get a good job, so you can get a big house with a big garage space, so you can work in comfort all around your chosen project.  PS if you do get yourself a good job and a big house with a big garage, and you are the sort of person who thinks a garage is for storing cardboard boxes or your executive BMW in, then I despair.

No comments: