Monday, September 20, 2010

The rebuilding begins

Ive been waiting a long time for this moment.  The moment of starting to build the scooter up again.  But I was a little worried about how I might thread the wiring loom back through the tight gap between the headstock and leg-shield without damaging the old (and brittle?) wiring - note, I haven't done any renovation of the wiring loom.  However, as it turned out it was easy peasy.  I wrapped the loom and all its flying ends in a tube of polythene shopping bag, tied it to a length of 3-core electrical cable and simply pulled it through!  So easy was it, I threaded all the new brake, clutch, gear and throttle cables too - and then I was at a bit of a loss what to do.... i hadnt planned to get that much done in such a short space of time.  Will it all be this simple?

I have also put a good spray of waxoyl down through the box section of the frame in an attempt to keep water away from the joints and seams (though I suspect I shall rarely take it out in the rain, and even if I did it would take years and years to rot through the powder coating and then the metal - but it made me feel good all the same)

I am very pleased to have taken the dozens of photos of the strip down - to help me work out which cable threads through which hole with which grommet

No comments: