Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Case closed

A man is allowed a lunch break isnt he?
Eager to know if that crank is pressed far enough home, I wanted to get the engine halves together and sealed.
The Gransport chaps tell me that they use silicone sealant for gasket sealing their engines (or are they just making fun of me, the noo-boy?)  However I am a fan of red hermatite and so hermatite is was.
Everything went remarkably well i think (and I touch wood as i say this - I'd like to not have to split it again for a while)  Everything lining up, pressing together smoothly and pulling up tightly - I made sure to tighten the case bolts evenly and a satisfyingly small witness of red hermatite told me that the surfaces were mating nicely.

And so while we are here, why not reassemble the oil dosing gears and drive, then why not the clutch?
Again - all pretty straight forward really - not even interesting enough to take photos.

My only challenge was to work out how to translate the 24lbft torque to the castellated clutch nut tool that I had made (which doesnt have a 1/2" socket drive).  In the end i put the torque wrench in the vice and 'sensed' just how much that feels - if you are interested, 24lbft at 16" is enough to make your first finger ache.  And so with this sensation in mind I put a 16" extender tube onto the T-bar of my castellated clutch nut tool, and tightened the clutch up until my pointy finger hurt about the same as it did in my test.  Im sure McLaren would have a better method, but Im not reckoning on competing with them.
So, lunch-break over - back to work - feeling rather happy :-)

No comments: