Tuesday, November 16, 2010

fitting the crank. part 1

Oh boy Ive been fretting about this, getting the crank into its new main bearing.  The thing i am worrying about is distorting the crank as i shove it back into that very tight bearing.  Haynes talk of putting a hardwood wedge in between the counterweights.  I tried this but was still too scared to hammer heavily enough to get the crank home.
I tried warming the bearing to expand it a little, but still I darent whack hard enough to drive the crank all the way in.

And so here I am late at night looking for online solutions.  Here is a great description of how to fit a crank  http://www.scooterhelp.com/tips/engine/crank.install.lf.vespa.html
Freezing the crank as well might help a little, but I think I shall also make up a tube puller too

3am - and im tossing and turning - hope i havent damaged anything trying to fit that crank.  I dont think i was wacking too hard..... or was I?
7am - in garage inspecting crank and engine case - all looks ok.  Found some tube to make a puller spacer.  Crank in freezer.  How long does it take to freeze a crankshaft?
Lunch time - chat with Gransport - how do they do it?  Sadly the answer is 'hit it'
I am nervous

No comments: