Sunday, November 14, 2010

Wheel hub

The other week when I was assembling the back end in the belief that I was going to start it and ride it for the first time, I became a little suspicious of what felt like a rather soft screw thread when tightening up the wheel nuts - I turned a blind eye in my excitement to see if it would start.
However, when an engine rebuild became obvious, and I had to dissemble everything again, I took a closer inspection at those wheel hub nuts.  And im rather glad I did - they are heavily damaged.

Apparently these wheel nut studs can be fitted to the aluminium hub in one of a number of ways - pressed in, threaded in, swaged over or peened over.
It was clear that I would have to replace them so I had a go, and soon discovered that there was no-chance I was going to get those cheeky fellows out safely - even when I'd made my decision to buy a completely new hub, and hence didnt matter if I damaged the old one by drilling out to a way-oversized hole, I still couldnt get a single stud out.  How are they fixed in??

And so I was resigned to buy a brand new wheel hub - and at £35 I wasnt too disappointed - it is a rather safety critical item afterall.  I havent checked the front one in detail yet, but if its been treated like the rear one, I suspect another £35 will be in order.

And so that brings me to another budget review.  With my latest engine bits, new wheel hub, some two-stroke oil (only £10 - i didnt go for the £50 strawberry smelling 2-stroke oil), ooh And the second hand spare wheel that I recently bought on ebay for £35, I am now up to a running total of £857 (gulp!)

1 comment:

TVOR said...

To hell with the expense, give the cat another gold fish!

If you have written off the front hub would it be worth cutting a remaining stud along its axes so you would expose a cross section of how the stud is held in the cast hub. A waste of time by very educational. May be useful if you have to rework the front hub? Would make a good pic for the blog for us all to see.