Monday, November 22, 2010

We are going for it now!

It would of course make sense to throw a dust sheet over the scooter now and wait for winter to pass. 
But owning this scooter never made sense from the start, so why start now?

I would really like to get an MOT on the bike now - just to know all is good, and if its not then I have the whole winter to fix it.  But in order to get an MOT, i need to get it out on the road and for that I need insurance - so Ive just bought myself some insurance.
I phoned 3 companies, and they all quoted much of a muchness, but I felt in the end the best deal I got was with Bikesure. £133 for 3rdPFT, £150 Excess, 5000mile limited mileage - and this includes oodles of legal cover and heaps of personal accident cover (I wasnt really listening - but it will be in the documents when they send them through).
I valued the bike at £2000, and it made me realise that its not such a daft thing to have insurance now - even if Im not going to use it during the winter, as it is certainly stealable now, and should be covered by insurance.

In an ideal world I would like to get some miles (well at least some hours) on the clock before taking it out on the roads for an MOT - just to know that the bolts wont rattle off or a cable nipple doesnt slip - but thats virtually impossible to do.  I can only ride so many times up and down our culdesac (and even that is illegal) without annoying neighbours, and so I shall have to bite the bullet sometime, and why not straight away?
 
So, in theory,  if I wanted to now,  if i fix the rear indicators tonight,  I could take the scooter for an MOT tomorrow (the weather report says 'sunny'
ooh exciting! i wont be able to sleep!

No comments: