Thursday, January 04, 2007

Custom Bike Builder


For years Ive seen this guy working in his backstreet workshop, but ive never had the need to go in until now. and how pleased I am that i have.
In the backstreets of Hockley, Birmingham is what seems from the front a little workshop, but once inside is actually a bit of a tardis full of Harley Davidson custom builds, the majority of a corrvett, and some cool subaru off-roader buggy thing in the making.
I popped in to see if they might be able to help with making my headstock and it seems that they can - and then some! My budget and desire to do everything myself is driving me toward making my own frame, but this chap (and i never did catch his name) was suggesting that i might be better off if he built the frame for me. Certainly his TIG welding, pipe bending and jigging facilities do create fabulous frames...... but can i afford it? and am I compromising my experience if i out-source this important part of the job? Plenty of things to think about.
In the meantime I think this chap could be both very useful and interesting :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.

spideytim said...

Sadly, hes no longer there. Instead, a new development of executive homes. And none, I suspect, with a garage for a project :-(