Saturday, January 20, 2007

Peddle Positions
















Ive been playing with the peddles. I know theyve got to be down by my feet somewhere, but defining the specific position is actually quite a bit harder than i thought it might be. The position is effected by so many factors eg, rake of forks effects position of handle bars which effect riders stance, Likewise the position of the seat which is lead by the position of the gearstick. I'd quite like the positioning to be comfortable.... and then of course theres the bit about making it just look right.

Just to be clear (some people have asked questions to which i thought the answer was obvious) - the throttle will be in my right hand, and the brake and clutch on my right and left foot respectively - as in a regular car operation

I want to try and use as much as possible of the original car (keeps budget low and it adds to the challenge) and so i rigged up some wooden blocks to hold the original peddles in a working position. I did breifly look at having the peddles hanging as they were orientated in the original car, but this I think looks really messy. And so I am playing with the peddles poking upward (ie the pivot is below the peddle pad)
My current challenge is that by the time ive got my legs and feet in a comfy ride position, the peddles (particularly the clevis pin cranks) are way too low. Can you imagine - I'd get automatic breaking every time i drove over a sleeping policeman hump...... Now theres an idea!

So it looks like i will have to do some rework on the peddles to meet all my needs. I guess the question is, do i rework the original bits, or do i source an alternative or even make my own peddles and mechanisms from scratch

No comments: