Sunday, January 14, 2007

Poncing about leads to important decisions




Sometimes I can lose myself in my own thoughts and today I lost all track of time from between breakfast and evening dinner. I spent the whole day in the garage, and when i look at the result of all that time, I'm not really sure what i was doing all that time.
My objective was to get a better feel for general layout of the parts so that i might start to do some measurements and detailed drawing. There were times in the day when i felt a little frustraited as all i seemed to be doing was just poncing around trying, say, the tank at a slightly different angle or shifting the front-end back and forth by an inch, trying the the seat at this hieght then that height - all poncing about....... and every now and then I had to pinch myself to remember that actually THIS is the part of projects that I enjoy most (the conceptual stuff and roughing out ideas). I was doing the bit that I love doing and I didnt even recognise it!

I followed through on a decision that I had made in bed a couple of nights ago to create a better frame that would support the front end AND allow me to steer it so i could get a sense for 1) the clearance on the fuel tank and 2) the reach for me as rider as I go round corners - those left-hand turns with racing gear changes are going to be scary - the whole of the vehicles destination and destiny will be not in the palm of my hand but at the very tips of my fingers!
As i was building the support frame i realised that my design for it wasnt the best - I wished i'd thought through some alternatives before starting - and so my predicament was then to choose between continuing with a poor design or start over with a better design...... I chose the former but made a mental note not to get caught in this position again half way through building the frame for real.

The outcome of my efforts for the day are mainly decisions (but I guess making decisons are probably the most important feature of making progress). A couple of important decisions ...
1. Fuel tank needs to be right forward - this creates a good look of all the engine bits piled up front and provides best clearance for the carb and with ....
2. the seat right low, a great clean and sparce back end, which means......
3. a strong simply triangulated rear frame assembly. TVOR and I have been talking about the possibility of a frame that splits into a forward frame and a rear subframe..... could look something like the above sketch

No comments: