Sunday, January 21, 2007

Frame Design


Now before the debate starts, Im not suggesting that this IS the shape. There are plenty of shapes and flow lines and structural bracing to play with yet, but i thought id share my latest bit of fun. This is like doodling with pipe-cleaners. Its brilliant.

Ive been doing all sorts of sketches on paper (usually during dull meetings at work) and whilst im liking the general shapes im coming out with, I know that my proprtions are all wrong when im sketching - I tend to make the whole vehicle shorter and the forks alot longer than they actually are) Also, trying to sketch compound curves is never going to be easy. And so by using some 10mm microbore copper pipe and some foam 15mm pipe insulation tubes, I now have a full sized modeling kit.

My general thinking so far is that i dont want any framework forward of the rad - that will only spoil the space between mechanicals and forks/wheel. I think this is the space that defines "chopper". I also realise now that i am going to have to compromise on some thoughts if i want to produce a symetrical frame. Unless i am prepared to reposition for example the alternator, I cant have the sort of swoop that id imagined. So lots of thinking and playing to be done

Ive only just got the material tonight, and cobbled together what you see in the picture in about 15 minutes. Its a shame that ive now got to go away on business for 4 days as i really want to get on and do some designing. And this makes me think, If i won the lottery my approach wouldn't be any different - I'd still be striving to do it for a grand - but i would give up work instantly and spend hour after hour, day after day in total bliss tinkering away in my garage :-)

Finally.... what do you think to the idea of 2" dia tubing for the frame (lets not get into the discussion about tube or square again ;-) - i rather like the look of this Phat tube... kind of fits with the general feel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like it!! I think your copper tube and foam tube is the trikers equavalant to my cardboard and glue gun. It gives great results and does not slow down the design process to the point where you think "What was I doing"