Thursday, January 11, 2007

Reliants open your World to interesting people

Eric came tonight to collect the chassis. He'd done a 2.5 hr drive down from somewhere up north to pick up his £5 chassis - and he seemed very pleased with it. I was very pleased to get it out of my way. While he was here he also bought a couple of the other bits that were cluttering up my space - 2 wheels (I threw the 3rd in for free), the towbar, and the fuel tank for the grand total of £35. bargain and a jolly good clear out to boot.
Eric was an interesting chap. As soon as i opened the garage door he imeadiately identifed the seat on the project as a Fergy T20 - how cool is that?! turns out that he has a couple of tractors And 4 or 5 reliants (Robin, Rialto, Regal) - and he was also talking about engines for Seirras, new sheds and fishing clothing among many of our other conversations.

Eric also had a couple of interesting ideas about the Trike (though I did wonder if we were losing the plot a bit when he suggested that the frame on the trike needed to be nice and curvey so that i didnt do too much damage to anyone who might step out in front of me while i was riding it!!)
He seems to think that the carbureter off a Ford Fiesta MkI fits the reliant engine which might give me better clearance below the tank and better engine performance
He also thinks that the gearbox off a Relaint Regal is longer than my own box which could possibly give me the opportunity to replace the propshaft with a rubber doughnut and bring the rear axle froward (as i would like to do) by a couple of inches - he says he will measure his own regal gearbox and send me the dimensions

I liked Eric and I do hope that his cat gets better soon

Budget update. £583 (as of last count) + £22 (engine mounts) + £39 (seat) - £35 (parts to Eric, chassis, fuel tank, towbar and 3 wheels) = £609

No comments: