Thursday, May 20, 2010

CBT

Wahoo! how exciting - I've just booked my CBT (compulsory basic training) motorcycle test
£110 for a day with 1st Motorcycle Training in Kings Heath Birmingham.
CBT is good for bikes up to 125cc, and lasts for 2 years. You still have to ride with L plates (unless youre on a 50cc or less machine) and you cant carry pillion - all sounds good to me!
I told the wife last night about this - and she was horrified! I think she and I had different views of what I was going to do with this old scooter - So just for my own benefit here is some clarification as to why I'm going to spend £110 on a CBT.....
1. Scooter aside - I rather like new experiences and interesting courses. A day out learning how to ride a motorbike sounds like fun to me (as interesting and as fun as the day workshop I went on make an optical theremin) All these workshops, courses, experiences are what make life so rich and colourful. And I make my living from telling people to do more collecting of different perspectives - so I ought to be practicing what I preach
2. If I am going to get the scooter through an MOT, Ive got to get it to the MOT center, which means riding it there, which mean I need a licence and insurance....... which means I need a CBT
3. If I am going to prolong my life - I would be foolish not to get some expert training about riding a motorcycle on the road

So wife, as to whether I want to keep the vespa as a useful vehicle? - I have no idea or plan.

No comments: