Friday, May 14, 2010

Will she start?


Ive been quite busy with work recently (which I'm not complaining about) which has meant that I haven't had any 'me-time' to "mess with the ves". So it had been in my diary for 2 weeks that I would take Thursday morning off work to have a go at getting her started - bearing in mind that from what i understand from Ash, it hasnt been started for at least 2 years.
The excitement of Thursday morning had me out of bed and in the garage by 7.30 am - within the hour, id fitted the new ignition barrel - things were looking good.
The machine appeared to have a reasonable spark and compression, but i was worried about the fuel that might have gummed up the carb. On inspection, it appeared to be fairly fluid in there (and I didnt really want to strip it if i didnt need to) so I thought I'd give her a kick. Hmm, not so good. Everything kicks as it should do, but not a chance of a fire or splutter.
The plug was damp so i was happy that fuel was getting through the carb. However, the plug just didnt smell right - it wasnt 'petroly' enough. I guessed that there was still some stagnant petrol in the tank (despite me adding a little bit of fresh) so i decided to drain the tank.... which wasnt as easy as i'd imagined. Requiring me to remove the fuel tank and oil tank; requiring me to remove the petrol pipe to the carb which had to be cut off the banjo fitting; requiring me to go back to GranSportScooters for a 2 foot length of new fuel line (another £4). Eventually all was reassembled - though I think we should take a moment - while the fuel tank is out - of apreciation here for just how ingenious those hooks are for clamping down the side cowls :-)
Once refilled with fresh (and clearly more volatile and vapoury) petrol, I re-kicked.... and re-kicked - still nothing. I was about to give up for the day (i had some real work to get done) when one, almost accidental stomp on the kick-start and she fired into life!
Brilliant! Lots of smoke and noise... but with some twiddling of jets, I managed to stabilize her, and feel very chuffed with a good mornings work :-)

1 comment:

TREVOR said...

I lookforward to reading all about the clutch/gearbox problem solution. It might be something as simple as a sticking clutch. I guess that after 2 years of being together the plates might be reluctant to part. (not like marrage)

How about putting it in gear and trying to turn the engine over by pushing the bike.- ignition off and the tyre inflated. It my just free it. Would it help if you tied the clutch leaver open thus relieving the pressure on the plates. If you left it whilst you went off and made some money to cover the next problem it might just be enough to free things.