Saturday, October 16, 2010

Bit by Bit

An hour here and an hour there.  A moment before breakfast and a spell after supper.  Bit by bit ive been putting this scooter back together again, and all the while I keep saying to myself "I reckon if i had  full day on this I could get this finished"
I have to say, Ive rather enjoyed it like this.  As much as I want to get the thing finished, its been nice to have a gentle and regular run at it.  I imagine it must be a bit like doing a 2000 piece jigsaw on your dining room table - you want to get it done and out of the way, but it can only be done a bit at a time inbetween everything else thats going on.
Everything has been pretty straight forward really - as you would expect I guess - everything came off the bike so there is no reason why it shouldnt go back.
I decided not to check every wiring connection for continuity - this might come back to haunt me, but I just couldnt face it and really wanted to press on.

Ive fitted new floor board runners, and that was a bit of a pig.  The kit comes with some roughly bent aluminum extrusions, a length of rubber insert and a bag of odd rivets.  I couldnt work out what to do with the rivets provided, so improvised by using 3mm dia x 9mm long pop-rivets to hold the runner endcaps down, and a bunch of 2BA screws and nuts for the fixings in between.  It seems to have worked, but this is clearly not an efficient production method.

I was leaving the legshield trim to pretty much the end, as i thought this would be a simple cosmetic clip-on.  Turns out, it was a bitch of a job.  I had to resort to internet forums to see how others had done it.  There are a variety of ways but in the end i opted for 1. lashings of waxoyl to encourage the trim to slip on,  2. two bits of shaped plastic to help open the trim over the leg-shield edge,  3.  Remove the tool box.  I didnt want to do this, it feels like going backwards, but its only 4 nuts and it did give me some much needed access, and 4. work two inches at a time - this was a top tip on one of the forums - and i agree, focus on the now,  and not the flying end that is clearly out of control and wanging around all over your newly painted mudguard.

So have i fitted everything now?  my box of bits only seems to have some badges and a pair of new handle-bar grips (im leaving these till the very last moment - fitting these will feel like the launching of the Queen Mary).
..... hmm, I wonder if I tightened up all those nuts properly?

No comments: