Monday, October 11, 2010

Christening the Scooter

I rather like the idea of projects having names - I like the way scooters often have their names and associated graphics airbrushed down the side or across the leg-shield.  And I like the way these names can become metaphorical themes around which magazine articles hang their whole story on.
And so Ive been wondering about the name for my own scooter.
I have been clear in my own mind that this project has not been a 'restoration' - that term tends to suggest work to bring something back to its former/original glory - and this scooter is a way off original condition.
But I have certainly breathed new life into an otherwise dead and written off machine.  And for that reason, Ive been talking about it in terms of "Resurrection" and "Resuscitation" (Ive avoided "Renovation" as that was a former project of mine)  The Jury is still out on what best fits this project.
However, another option for a name came up the other day when Hugh popped in to give some encouragement and quality check the friction of the throttle twist.  I was making excuses and generally squirming about the poor panel-beating finish of the leg-sheild (actually i dont know why i feel the need to make excuses as I am very comfortable with it - I guess I dont want people to think that this is the limit of my skill and craftmanship) - anyway he was very kind about the whole thing and called it a "3-foot bike".  I'd never heard the expression before - but it means that its a bike that looks great from 3 feet away!  I rather liked this - and so I'm wondering if i should simply call the bike "3-feet"

No comments: