Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Crank shaft removal tool

I still wasnt comfortable with just whacking the crankshaft out - its not so much the distortion on the crank that worried me, but the stresses on the aluminum engine housing.
Haynes manual says;
"When removing the crankshaft from the left-hand crankcase half, it must be borne in mind that the crankshaft is a pressed up assembly and can be distorted if the ends are struck.  The official method of removal is to use a special tool. Part Number T.0038886 consisting of a thick steel plate which bolts to the three clutch over threads, with an extractor bolt at its center.  The ingenious and well equipped owner may be able to fabricate a suitable version of this tool, but failing this another method must be found"
Well, that sounded like a challenge to an ingenious and well equipped man, and within the hour, my version of the tool was in place and gently pressing the crankshaft out.  Genius :-)
The tool is now up for sale to any would-be vespa mechanics wary of the 'whack-it-out' technique - £500 ono

2 comments:

TVOR said...

I'm impressed with your design. The use of angle iron section is not one I would have thought of. To do it without welding is a stroke of genius. I guess the forces involved weren't too great and so there was minimum distortion. Nice solution.

spideytim said...

As I have mentioned before, my garage is so small that ive built myself into a bit of a hole with this project and getting access to the welding kit is more difficult than was worth (and besides I still prefer to weld outside to minimise fire risk)- so inspired by our old friend Ken, who has built classic bikes and kit cars without ever needing to weld, I thought a nut and bolt solution would be the best course of action here