Wednesday, October 20, 2010

This is a 'budget project' - please take note.

I had to drop eldest daughter in town this morning, and it seemed like a good excuse to pop into Gransport seeings as I was passing their door.  I thought I would tap him up for some advice on how to get this crankshaft out without creating any damage.
I am warming to Gransport - my first couple of dealings with them have left me a little cold - as if I wasnt part of their special club (I guess I wasnt much of thier club when all I was buying were bits of fuel pipe and rubber grommets)  But today, they appeared to have much more time for me and my questions - maybe Ive misjudged them, and I'm glad that I was wrong because I have a suspicion Im going to be seeing a lot of them over the next couple of weeks.
I asked about the safe removal of this crankshaft from the main bearing which is still stuck in the engine casing.  Ive read many different reports on how to do it, and how to bugger it up by doing it wrong.  Gransports reply was to hit it! With 'engineering skills', hit it.  There is an indentation on the shaft and a punch lined up with this will keep it central and minimise any damage to the thread.
I asked if I could bring in my box of bits for them to assess, and they were very up for that and warned me that while the engine is open like this it is false ecconomy to not replace bits that you think you can get away with.  He went on to say "You would be better off spending your £500 now than have to keep dropping the engine out and replacing more damaged bits"
500 quid!  500 quid!!  Oh my gosh I hope its not going to come to that.
I will take him up on his offer to look over my parts once they are all out, and take advantage of his prior experience - but he has got to understand - this is a 'budget project'

No comments: