Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Splitting the engine

My Flywheel extractor tool arrived today, so after a successful morning in the office, i took a lunch break to see how it worked - it worked a treat! so why not strip a few more bits and split the engine case?
note the sheared thread on the input shaft in bottom right corner!


Im not sure if I was pleased or disappointed to NOT see anything disastrous inside, there are a few signs of wear but not terrible.  My hopes and curiosity were raised..... until I noticed that the input shaft seems to have at least an 1/8 inch of back and forth play in it, meaning the big gear (Im sure I will learn the names of these eventually) that is driven by the clutch is slopping back and forth - and there is signs of wear :-)






Turns out on closer inspection the input shaft pin has been buggered - the locking nut and thread has been smashed off! - and by the look of the sheared thread surface, its been like this for some time.  So certainly a new shaft is going to be required. Maybe new gears?? I hope not.

My next focus for problem solving is how to get that bloody crankshaft out of the clutchside bearing.  Haynes and many others say not to wack it out.... but some forums are suggesting it would work.  I might have to make up a tool to press it out against the clutch cover studs...... but then how do i get the bearing out?





I rather liked this chaps approach to bearing fitting (I wonder if it works for bearing extraction?) .....



I am sure the clutch side oil seal is gone but i cant see this until i get that bloody crankshaft out of the way.  A job for tomorrow now maybe

No comments: