Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Whats the damage?

With the crank out, it was now a simple case of knocking the output shaft out and dropping the input shaft out.  I havent yet taken the gears of the shafts, but with the engine case now clear of gears and crank, I could at last inspect.  Heres what I found

1. Yup thats a split main bearing oil seal! no wonder it was burning gear oil.  I cant tell the condition of the bearing, but im going to replace it anyway.  You can see some scoring on the engine case and matching side of the crank - not sure whats caused that, and is it problem?

2. The sheared retaining thread on the input shaft is quite obvious now and the subsequent drift of the input gears has scored the engine case and damaged the rivets of the primary gear - I await to hear what Gransport think of this. I am intregued by the woodruff keyway on the input shaft - there was no matching keyway or key anywhere to be found!

I havent looked at the gear selector yet - they say this can be pretty worn sometimes, but all in all, not a major fail I dont think.







Next step, box it all up and see what the experts think

No comments: