Monday, October 18, 2010

First sight of inside

I had to look as soon as possible.
So off with the head and barrel

 Well it doesnt look too carbonised, but I was surprised by the amount of oil that ran out of the barrel! Clearly all that gearbox oil is finding a easy route out of where its supposed to be.

The barrel doesn't seem to be too badly scored - but im not sure what a healthy piston should look like - the rings look good, but the aluminum piston itself certainly shows signs of scoring

Unfortunately I couldn't get the piston off tonight as I dont have the right circlip pliers (but ive since bought a pair off ebay - £5)  There is yards of lateral movement in the big end and small end (is that supposed to happen?), but I cant at this stage sense any bearing wear.

Im convinced the crankshaft bearings are shot (seals certainly are) as there seems to be some movement in at the flywheel - further inspection will reveal.  Ive got a £6 flywheel extractor on its way to me, but Im not sure if I should buy some bearing extractors or get Gransport to do them for me

So not being able to get the piston out or flywheel off tonight, i stripped and cleaned the carb box and oil pump (thats a jolly clever little device)

Heres a very useful site for anyone stripping a Vespa engine
http://www.vespamaintenance.com/engine/teardown/index.html





No comments: