Wednesday, November 08, 2006

It started 44 years ago, and ive been slowly plodding my way to a midlife crisis ever since.
It started 30 years ago when I drove my first stripped down chassis with my Dad
It started 6 months ago when I saw i was going to be having some time on my hands
It started 6 weeks ago when Hughie thought it was a brilliant idea

Build a Trike. 6 months, £1000. Ride it for summer 2007 and sell it for no less than £1200.
Hughie and I sat in the Corks jazz club in Bearwood http://www.bearwoodjazz.co.uk/ with the other 50 or so people who also didnt realise how lucky they were to have such an unspoilt run-down of a club available to them. I was explaining to Hughie just how much i wanted another motor project now that my studying was coming to an end; how i wanted to get my fingers oily again. I was explaining how now that my garage was so much smaller than the one i used to have, a full blown 4 wheel project was out of the quesion.... but perhaps a 3 wheel project was possible. Afterall i managed to build a 2CV 3-wheeled Lomax in a small garage all those years ago. And because I'd really enjoyed having the V-dub based Manta Ray beach-buggy, maybe what i really needed now was a V-dub based 3 wheeler - A Trike.
As we sat listneing to Andy Hamilton sax his best, I shaped some beer mats to illustraite my point to Hughie that despite never having riden a motorbike or owned a trike, i clearly was the best trike stylist there ever was. In my opinion, Trike builders kind of miss the point- its not about building a vehicle, its about creating a work of art - and i was the man to do it!
Hughie bought it (and another beer) and made me promise to do it. And so the talking started

No comments: