Thursday, November 23, 2006

wheely good


oh, were cooking on gas now. When I bought the front end, I worried about where i would get the car from. When I bought the car I worried about where i would get the wheels from. So today i bought some wheels!
The wheels are actually quite important to the design and build, because they will effect the rear axle height which in turn (if im having a minimum length - if at all prop-shaft) dictates the engine height and then the fork rake etc etc.
The concern that has been keeping me awake at night is what sort of wheels should i go for? style? price? diameter? hub adapters? Standard Reliant wheels are 10" dia with 4 x 4" PCD studs - there are some alternative wheels to fit this spec ( http://www.bikerlifestyle.co.uk/tech/pcd/pcd.htm has a comprehensive list of wheel sizes ) but I was begining to worry about how long the hunt might be for some oddball / good looking wheels.
However, I should have known really - these worries soon work thenselves out and work itself out it did tonight. A casual check on ebay turned up these beauties. a quick phone call to hughie to get his opinion and £125 later, they are all mine (still got to worry about how to pick them up from Cambridge, but thats the easy bit) I think they should look quite fabulous on my cool machine.
So my grand total so far now stands at £535 (I think that should cover quite nicely the fuel tank, frame material, lights, seat and those tassel'y things that hang from the ends of the handlebars :-)

No comments: