Saturday, November 18, 2006

What to do next??


So now what?
Ive had a great day, and ive now got a Reliant robin sitting in my garage.
Ive thrown out any thought now of insuring it and driving it around for a while, this will only serve to delay the project and so Im keen to get stripping the thing down to the bits i actually need. Also, getting rid of the body and front end will free up some space in my now stuffed garage.
Hughie thinks I should take the car first to have the emissions checked on the engine, so that if need be i can strip and rebuild the engine before i build the frame. I am more of the opinion, lets just get on with the trike build, and whne it comes to the test, if i have to rework the engine then, so be it. That said though, having had a flick through my Haynes manual tonight I wonder if it might be a pleasent exersice to strip the top half of the engine anyway and at least check the valves and the like.
I wonder what Dad (The Voice of Reason - TVOR) will have to say on the subject?
Oh I shall sleep well tonight!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It may be worth checking with your friendly MOT garage but I think that your engine is so old that they don't check emission. Certainly they don't check the TF B series engine and that's "M" reg.
When I built my first car ( Morris 8 series 2) I was all for sorting out the engine despite the fact that it ran. I just fancied making it look nice and possibly running better. My father said leave well alone and get on with all the other things that needed doing. He was right, I ran the car for a number of years without ever touching the engine, not even taking the head off. (It was side valve and not as sophisticated as the Robin.) I sold eventually and the guy who bought it never touched the engine in the time he had it. So what does tht tell you?
TVOR says "leave it alone until it stops doing what you want it to"

Anonymous said...

I've just thought you might ask why I rebuilt the B series enging befor starting the TF. In this case the engine was knackered. No3 had no compression. It transpired that whe gasket had blown between No3 and a water way. In doing so it had "burnt" the head and it was necessary to have the block and head skimed. It therefore made sense to rebuild the engine.

I agree that the Robin engine would be fun to take to pieces it is small enough and has all the bits that you can recognise. Do you remember that I bought an Austin 7 engine with a view to getting you to strip it and rebuild so you would learn about engines? Unfortunatly I cocked it up because I had not realised that Austin 7 engine did not have split main and big end bearings. This made it very difficult for you to get the crankshaft out so we gave it and I eventually sold it to a man who collected Austin 7 cars. I would loved to have had a Robin engine.