Friday, June 11, 2010

Down to the nitty gritty

I should have done this when I first saw the thing - kicked it over on its side. It would have been quickly apparent this was never going to get through an MOT. I cant believe I was so naive!
At least now, stripped down to the frame (though still some cables and ancillaries to be removed yet) I can man-handle the frame with ease, which makes it much easier for inspection (and I hope, repair)
You can see from the pictures that the floor is completely shot. Someone has at some stage riveted a plate on and done a not-too-bad-looking fibre-glass job at the back of the floor panel. The rust around the brake pedal hole is thick and flakey - i can poke great lumps out with my finger!

I knew the floor was going to be an issue. But I was intrigued to see what the engine mounting holes were going to be like - on my first breif inspection they arent as bad as I was expecting, but the surrounding areas are clearly going to need some work.
How do I feel about the whole thing? well not too bad actually. In fact rather excited. I want desperately to get it shot-blast or chemically dipped (still not absolutely sure which yet) so that it is clean to handle and we can see what the real extent of the job is.
Next job - to strip out the ancillaries, cables and wires and cut off as much of that patching plate and fibreglass as possible so its ready for the stripper

1 comment:

TVOR said...

Great position, nothing else to remove and you've seen most of the worst. When it comes back from shot blasting (I think now you can see all the surfaces it is the best solution) you may see new problems but at least it will be clean. Remember from that point on there's only one way to go, forward.