Saturday, June 12, 2010

Getting rid of old rubbish

Its been a glorious day today. Sun out, family out. What else is a boy to do?
After getting all the bits off the frame - BTW sandwich bags are perfect for storing assembly parts so as not to lose any bits - I sat in the sun with a glass of water to admire my work.
The next step was to get the frame shot blasted. But it occured to me that it would be nuts to shot blast the bits that are definitely going to be chucked - so, with time on my hands, I decided to chop out the rubbish.
First up to remove the plate that a previous owner had pop-riveted in as a patch up job, and Oh what a revelation. This floor was completely rotton. And I am not convinced that the patch up plate actually contributed any structural strength
I decided that I might as well remove the majority of the scrap floor, so got on with drilling out the spot welds between the floor and the spine box section. At this point I have to make an admission - In drilling out perhaps 30 spot welds, I broke 4 drills bits! I was devastated. I havent broken a drill bit in years! I put the bad experience down to hunger and hardened welds.

To help make sure that I buy exactly the right sized replacement floor panel (Ive seen various people selling various shapes and sizes of replacement floor) I decided not to totally destroy the scrap bits, but try to hold them together to show the man-in-the-shop - I screwed a couple of bits of wood in place to hold the two sides of the old floor together.
Once the floor was drilled out and cut off, I could at last see what I was faced with. Actually the spine box section (Im not sure what the right term for this is) isnt as bad as it could have been when you think about the state of the old floor. My hope were raised a little. Maybe I can make this work.
Tonight I made pizzas for the family while they watched the England-USA world cup match. I found that kneading dough is a perfect way to clean grubby finger nails














































No comments: