Monday, June 28, 2010

Floor pan

It feels like a long time getting to this point. After all, it was only a hole in the floor that I was supposed to be patching. But at long last, I finally got round to fitting the new floor pan.
I had done a research on the web about fitting a new floor (and there are surprisingly few references to it) and found a handful of suppliers selling what they claimed to be the right floor pan for a PX ('there is only one shape for a PX' etc). However not all of these 'correct' parts looked the same.... and not the same as the one I was replacing.
SIP (the German supplier of scooter bits) were showing thier replacement floor for £83 and yet some people were selling new replacement floors on ebay for 40 quid. On inspection of everyones accompanying photographs, it would appear the more expensive SIP floor has the rear cut out and upturned lip that my old floor suggested it once upon a time had. So I was getting myself prepared to spend 80 quid, when I spoke with Kevin at K n S scooters in Derby who told me that his floor for £40 was exactly the same as the SIP one (and that they made much more profit on theirs than he did) So I was delighted and as already explained in a previous blog entry went over last weekend to buy. HOWEVER. What Kevin had did not LOOK the same as the photo on the SIP site - no cut out or upturned lip. I bought it anyway, and a week later, I have finally got round to working out what all that Lip is about and whether I'd saved myself 40 quid or lost myself 40 quid on a rough copy.

Well that Lip is essential - to join with the rear wheelarch bulkhead, and on very close inspection, someone had actually scribed some cut and fold lines on this replacement floor (so maybe thats what you pay your extra £40 to SIP for - to actually do the cutting and folding) - though Im not sure that the side flaps that Ive put in are standard - there was certainly something going on here in the old floor of my scooter, but I dont see any evidence of side flaps on the SIP part. However I chose to put these returns in to help strengthen the whole thing by welding them to the inside side panels.
I was encouraged to see these fine lines, but didnt follow then, choosing to mark out my own to suit my, now unique, frame conditions (there wasnt much difference in the end, but I felt happier to be sure).
Note, I do all my marking out with a scribe, but sometimes I use a marker pen to highlight which line to cut to - Ive been caught out before my marking several lines, then turning the piece upside down to get better access, and then cutting to the wrong line - so the pen marks you see in the photos are to help me make sure Im working to the right scribe line ;-)

No comments: