Thursday, June 17, 2010

Shot-blasted.... but now Im under pressure

Have got the frame back from Redditch Shot Blasting.

At first sight it looks lovely - almost as if it has been painted. On closer inspection however, we can see the full extent of the damage that the rust has done. The point to remember here though is that what you are seeing is solid metal - there is no cover up of any rust. This is not painted, just fresh, clear and very exposed metal.... the pressure now is to get it repaired and painted asap, before the exposed metal starts to oxidise again.

In theory, everything is weldable now.

I am delighted to see that the engine mounting plates are pretty sound. All ive got to do is make sure the structure around them is strong



I dont feel overly daunted by it all - rather excited in fact. I've bought some 0.9mm mild steel sheet (£12 from MetalSupermarkets) And Ive got my cheap panel beating set off ebay, and a nibbler and sheet-grips from Frosts so I'm all set to go :-)
BTW Just for the record I'm not counting the cost of tools towards the cost of doing this bike - only materials and processes - So to date ive spent £24 to get it running, £11 on metal and £25 on shotblasting - Grand total = £60

















1 comment:

TVOR said...

It looks great. When I first saw the pictures with the frame in a room I thought that it was a professional shot. I trust the wife can't log on to "Black Spanner".

When I was building the TF I had a saying "Cosmetics don't count". This enabled me to justify all the pretty chrome bits and everything that made the car look good. I recommend it as it enables you to get on with the job and not constantly be adding up the cost.

I look forward to reading about how the first welding goes.