Wednesday, June 02, 2010

The ups and downs of decision making

Bloody hell - ive never been on such an emotional roller-coaster in such a short space of time.
I decided that I would pop over to see my local Motorcycle MOT man to have a chat with him about my scooter before arranging to drive it there for the test. I was a little worried about the rust in the floor pan - and I would have been gutted to pay £140 on insurance only to find its an MOT failure. I took some photos of the underside with me, and went with fingers crossed (I'd be happy with a caution so that I could at least get a few hours riding on it before deciding what to do with it)
At first the conversation with the MOT man was encouraging (ie he didnt laugh me out of the place) But sadly, the rules are clear - There mustn't be any heavy rust within 12cm of any structural component. As the chassis is monocoque, this is a bit of a grey area - but the fact that the foot brake is within only a couple of centimeters of a rust hole is a clear, no argument "FAIL".
I was a little crest-fallen. I had suspected this would be the case, but had hoped nevertheless. However, I cheered myself a little with the fact that I hadnt wasted any money on insurance and MOT.
So it looks like I have a decision to make;
1. Patch the hole
2. Replace the floor with a new floorpan
3. Get another body/chassis and transfer all my parts to it
4. Get rid of the whole damn thing

As I drove home, I decided to make a little detour and go and ask GranSport if they supplied floorpans. I had already looked these up on the internet and see that I can buy one from SIP for £40-£80 depending on how you read their incredibly complicated online catalogue, but I'd rather buy one from a man in a shop who might also be able to give me some advice. GranSport told me that they had never had a request for a floorpan for a PX (they have only ever done 'old' vespas!) and was I really sure that it would be cost effective after all the effort and repainting? I was beginning to feel fed up again - maybe I really should just dump the scooter afterall. They did however give me another contact - they buy their panels from KnS Scooters in Derby - they might be able to help.
I drove home feeling confused. I dont really need the hassle or cost right now. However, on arriving home I thought I might as well look up KnS. Thier website doesnt give much away, so I called them. The chap that answered could well have been selling paper-clips, he made it all sound so easy;
"oh yeah, we've got those"
"oh.. thats great. Do you need to know my model number?"
"No, they're all the same for the PX"
"Great. How do I get a price?"
"They're 40 quid"
"Right. Do you have them in stock, or do I have to order?"
"Just come in. Where are you?"
"Birmingham"
"oh right, just pop-over - Saturdays are best. But if you cant do that, just give me a call and Ill arrange to be there for you"
"Brilliant! .... and out of interest..... do you consider replacing the floorpan a difficult job?"
"Oh no, not at all. I'll show you what to do when you come over"
And with that, I put the phone down, a much happier and enthused man.
Maybe I shall rebuild this bike after all :-)

No comments: