Thursday, June 24, 2010

Well who'd have thought it?

So it turns out that TVOR was a scooter man in his day. And a Lambretta man at that.
Until 5 or 6 weeks back, I had no interest in scooters whatsoever. I wouldnt have known a Vespa from a Lambretta from a Peugeot from a Suzuki. But that is all starting to change. Im still no expert (and to be honest, never will be with Suzukis) but I'm learning fast.
Ive fallen in love with the Vespa and the history of Piaggio, and for me this is THE scooter, however as I read more and speak more to spares suppliers, I cant help but fall over the odd comment or picture of Lambrettas - and then TVOR reminded me that he once owned one. Well, wouldnt it be funny I thought if he got another one now! and so i started to look in magazines and on ebay at how much a Lambretta goes for these days.... And I was startled by the very high price. you aren't going to get much for less that a grand.... and then youve got some work and cost to get it roadworthy

Ive started to learn that Lambretta appears to be the cream of scooters. Highly sought after and highly priced. I seem to remember someone telling me recently that Lambretta owners/dealers/officianados can often look down their noses a little at Vespas and thier owners. Vespa is a second rate scooter in their opinions.... and maybe market prices proves it so.

Anyhow here is a picture that TVOR sent though to me of his LD125. So old is this picture that it was taken in the days before he met his future wife, and out of respect to her, I have replaced the head of TVORs old girl-friend (who incidentally had a very nice tea-pot) with a smiley yellow head.

So the challenge now is to find an LD125 for TVOR that fits within his budget - the only one Ive seen so far was on Italian ebay and located in Sicily!.... But what a great adventure that would be to go and collect it :-)

1 comment:

TVOR said...

Thanks, on behalf of my current wife and your mother.